I am pleased to announce the following press release in my supporting of the Alzheimers Society UK charity.
A charity that is close to my heart having had a close relative suffer with this horrible disease. I hope I can reach at least a goal of £1000 by the time I complete Ice Warrior #LastPole (fingers crossed) the work done gives so much to families and relatives and provides such incredible care and support where it is needed. If you have ever had a relative suffer with dementia you know you lose someone twice and it’s heart breaking.
Some important info on Alzheimers;
- One in three people over 65 will die with dementia
- Alzheimer’s Society research shows that 800,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia, more than half have Alzheimer’s disease. In just ten years a million people will be living with dementia. This will soar to 1.7 million people by 2051
- Alzheimer’s Society champions the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them
- Alzheimer’s Society works in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Alzheimer’s Society supports people to live well with dementia today and funds research to find a cure for tomorrow. We rely on voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by visiting https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/veganicewarrior
- Alzheimer’s Society provides a National Dementia Helpline, the number is 0845 300 0336 or visit alzheimers.org.uk
Craig Williams, of Usk, Monmouthshire will join a team of novice explorers and attempt to reach the Northern Pole of Inaccessibility, dubbed the #LastPole in Feb 2018, Craig will be running his own campaign for his Ice Warrior profile and raising necessary funds to ensure his place on the team. However, he has decided to support us and raise money separately for the Alzheimer’s Society and hopes to achieve the £1,000 pound mark.
Craig said “I decided to join the Ice Warrior projects expedition attempt for the Last Pole after realising there was room to be part of something truly meaningful and worthwhile and also able to grow as a person. I figured it would be an excellent opportunity to raise some money on the side for the Alzheimer’s Society after my Grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in the latter years of his life. It had been really hard on the whole family watching him deteriorate and particularly hard on my Grandmother who was his main carer. I am hoping that by raising funds for the Alzheimer’s Society that more support can be provided for carers as well as allowing the Society to continue its search for a cure.”
Craig also says “I’m training pretty hard for the challenge and try to get out when ever I can. It will be the first time I have ever done anything quite as long and challenging as this, so I’m really excited about it all.”
Jeremy Hughes, Chief Executive at Alzheimer’s Society, said:
‘We are delighted that Craig is giving his time to support Alzheimer’s Society. One in three people over 65 will die with dementia. It is more than just memory loss; it robs people of their lives and has a devastating impact on families and loved ones.
‘As a charity, we rely on the generosity of individuals like Craig to help us continue our vital work. Please back Craig in their fundraising efforts so that Alzheimer’s Society can continue leading the fight against dementia.’
To sponsor Craig please call 07542117894 or visit https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/veganicewarrior and donate direct. All funds raised go direct to the charity.
Get involved yourself! From running your local 5K to trekking the Great Wall of China, and cycling from London to Paris to parachuting, Alzheimer’s Society has a fantastic range of events both in the UK and abroad. To find out more, please visit alzheimers.org.uk/events or call 0870 417 0192.